Invisalign vs. Metal Braces
Schedule Free Consultation
The decision about what type of orthodontics to get is based on your orthodontist’s recommendation for your unique oral health and alignment needs. Some patients will thrive with clear trays while others need metal braces. At Family Orthodontics in St. Louis Park, Dr. Rosemary Lelich and her team are ready to help you feel like a winner in the Invisalign vs. metal braces battle, no matter which team you’re on.
Deciding Between Invisalign vs. Metal Braces
Invisalign is a big draw for most orthodontic patients. They would prefer to straighten their teeth discreetly than wear metal brackets and wires. If you are fortunate enough to qualify for both Invisalign and metal braces, it’s important to consider more than just aesthetics as you make your choice.
- Level of commitment: Invisalign trays are removable for meals and cleaning, but this means it’s possible for the wearer to not have their trays in their mouth often enough. Invisalign must be worn 20 to 22 hours a day. Patients who lose things easily or lose track of time may be better served with metal braces which are on the teeth 24-7.
- Complexity: Even if someone qualifies for Invisalign, more severe alignment issues are often best addressed with metal braces. Your thorough consultation with your orthodontist will lay out all the things happening with your teeth and include recommendations about whether Invisalign vs. metal braces is most appropriate for your oral health.
- Limits: Wearers of metal braces have food restrictions. They must stay away from chewy, sticky, crunchy, hard, or acidic foods that could damage brackets and wires. These limitations can be daunting, but they’re temporary. Whether you wear Invisalign or metal braces, your teeth will be sore after adjustments and the insertion of new trays, affecting how you want to eat anyway.
Benefits of Metal Braces
At first glance, Invisalign always seems to come out on top in the Invisalign vs. metal braces challenge, but there are many benefits of wearing traditional metal braces, besides the fun sparkle they add to your teeth.
- Effective: Braces are on your teeth around the clock, which means the treatment is consistent. You’re never at risk of losing or damaging trays or leaving them out for too long and the braces are always working to straighten your smile.
- Proven: Millions of people have worn metal braces successfully for generations. This orthodontic treatment has only improved over the years with smaller brackets and advanced technology.
- Versatile: If you need traditional braces but want a discreet treatment, ask your orthodontist about ceramic brackets which are tooth-colored and harder to see. If you want a noticeable, cool look, have fun with the colorful rubber bands that invite you to express your personality.
Perks of Invisalign
Invisalign is a preferred choice for plenty of adults and teenagers who want a discreet way to straighten their smile. Here are some of the other perks of Invisalign that make them so popular:
- Comfortable: There are no brackets or archwires to snag your lips or cheeks in Invisalign. The trays are smooth and thin so they snugly fit against the teeth and the lips slide over them.
- Quick: Invisalign treatment takes about one year, on average, though some cases require more or less of a commitment. Wearers of metal braces put in about twice that amount of time.
- Easy: When it comes to caring for Invisalign and your teeth, just brush and floss normally and soak the trays regularly to keep everything clean.
- Freedom: Eat what you want, when you want, as long as your Invisalign aligners are removed first and teeth are cleaned before the trays go back in.
Are You a Good Candidate for Invisalign or Metal Braces?
Ready to learn more about Invisalign vs. metal braces and find out which method might be right for you? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Lelich and her team at Family Orthodontics in St. Louis Park.